Why should we be interested in optimizing the research experience from Search Engines to conversion?
How many times have you visited a website and left it because the content wasn’t something you were looking for? How often have you found the right content, but the site wasn’t easy to use?
To try to solve this problem, marketing experts suggest to merge together two techniques: SEO + UX and create the SXO strategy.
What is SXO strategy?
SXO stands for Search eXperience Optimization.
SXO is a discipline that combines different techniques in order to optimize the user experience from search engines to conversions on your website.
In other words, the search experience optimization adds the notions of user experience (UX) to search engine optimization (SEO), with the aim of optimizing the conversion rate.
The search experience optimization is therefore a marketing strategy that aims to attract visitors through SEO, convert and retain them through the UX.
It is not easy to understand the interest of the SXO without some details about its two components:
What is SEO?
SEO or Search Engine Optimization groups together a set of practices to increase the amount of visitors towards a website by obtaining a high-ranking placement in the search results page.
These practices are characterized by efforts to increase the visibility of a web page in search engines. The main goal of SEO is to attract as many as possible organic visitors to a web page by optimizing its ranking in Google results (SERPs) or in other search engines (Yahoo, Bing).
What is the UX?
The UX or User eXperience qualifies the feeling of a user who discovers a web interface.
UX design is everything that helps to create for the “surfer” a good experience while navigating.
What are the main issues covered:
– Defining interaction patterns best suited in the context
– Incorporating user needs collected during user research into the designs
– Features and information that are important to the user
– Interface behavior like drag-drop, selections, and mouse-over actions
– Effectively communicating strengths of the system
– Making the interface intuitive by building affordances
– Maintaining consistency throughout the system.
Why should you be interested in SXO?
If you want to capture traffic through search engines in the future, you will need to provide the best response to users’ queries by analyzing their behavior on your website.
Both your content and your products/ services will have to provide clear answers to questions like:
– How to do … ?
– Why … ?
– What is … ?
– What … ?
The SXO adds a layer to the traditional SEO by integrating the analysis of the behavior of the Internet users. The objective of this analysis is to decipher the behaviors and expectations of Internet users and then implement an effective SXO strategy.
The SXO meets both the requirements of search engines and the expectations of Internet users through their behaviors.
Improve your content for retain the user
For successfully complete a SXO strategy, you will need to provide the information the user wants in the right time to keep them on your website. Otherwise, the user would go back to Google.
The content of your website must retain the user on your page.
According to Jakob Nielsen, the outstanding expert of User Experience, the majority of visitor drop-off occurred in the first 10 seconds. This means you have a maximum of 10 seconds to convince visitors that you:
– Have the answer to their question
– Have an answer that they can trust
– Will make it easy to get their answer
The search for relevant keywords to be targeted must be segmented according to the intentions of the users, you will then have to propose adapted contents.
If you’re starting out, the first SXO actions to take are:
– Study the user’s intent and identify their biggest problems;
– Be present at the different stages of the search of the Internet user with the good content;
– Produce only contents corresponding to expectations, uses and user problems;
– The objective with the SXO is to provide solutions by producing and positioning content to meet all the needs of Internet users. Do not hesitate to use Google Analytics to analyze the behavior of your visitors;
– Good to know: the SXO is valid for both natural and paid search.
The times when it was enough to stuff web pages with lots of keywords to acquire backlinks is well over! Today, one of the keys to success of a website is to understand the user behavior to improve their experience, and put them in the heart of your project.
Adopting a SXO strategy is a good approach to satisfy Google and increase your visibility.